The Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique, also known as Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation, was invented and patented by John Chao, D.D.S. It is a scalpel-free, suture-free, graft-free, minimally invasive procedure for correcting gum recession and saving teeth. Through a small hole made by a needle, specially designed instruments are used to gently loosen the gum tissue and glide it over the receded part of the tooth. Since there is no cutting or stitching, patients can expect minimal post-operative symptoms (pain, swelling and bleeding). Patients are pleasantly surprised by the instant cosmetic improvement. Most patients are able to resume light normal activities within 24-48 hours after treatment.
Benefits of the Pinhole® procedure:
1. Can correct gum recession in as little as 1 treatment session.
2. Minimal discomfort and swelling in most cases because the method is scalpel-free, suture-free and graft-free.
3. Long-term results per the International Journal of Periodontology & Restorative Dentistry. (October2012)
4. The pinholes heal in 24 hours in most cases.
5. Only 2 over-the-counter pain pills required after treatment on average per the study in the Int. Journal of Periodontology & Restorative Dentistry. (October2012)
6. Can prevent tooth loss and the need for other costly procedures such as implants or dentures.
7. Treatment sessions can be completed in as little as 1-2 hours in many cases.
8. Can enhance a more youthful and attractive appearance.
9. Patients often describe feeling happier due to being able to smile without the shame or guilt associated with receded gums.
10. Most patients are back to normal light activities within 24-48 hours post-procedure.